Police oppose bail over shotgun incident

July 14, 2014 | By More

Police car-Sept2013-01Police opposed bail for three men charged over a shotgun incident in Rawhiti Domain, New Brighton, last night, and a Christchurch District Court judge has remanded two of them in custody.

Police told the court that two of the men had been at the park when four shotgun shells were fired at a tree about 10pm. Armed police stopped a car in Pages Road as it was leaving the area afterwards.

Joshua Ngatiki Ngarimu, 20, of Addington, entered no pleas to charges of unlawful possession of a shotgun and firing it with reckless disregard for the safety of others, and was remanded in custody to Thursday. He did not apply for bail.

Peter Raymond Snowden, a 38-year-old plasterer, was charged with unlawful possession of the shotgun which police said was found in his car. Police accepted he had not been involved in the firing of the weapon but had driven the others away afterwards.

He entered no plea and was remanded in custody for an appearance by video-link on Monday.

Isaac Milnor, a 22-year-old scaffolder, who denies being in the park when the gun was fired but was allegedly found in the car, applied for release on bail on the charge of unlawful possession of the shotgun.

Judge Couch granted bail for a remand without plea to August 4, with conditions that he live at an address in Avonside, abide by a strict curfew, not consume alcohol or drugs, not possess any firearms, and not contact the alleged co-offenders.

Category: News

Pin It on Pinterest