42-months jail for hospital sex attack

July 1, 2015 | By More


File image. © Andrew Bardwell

File image. © Andrew Bardwell

A man who went to Christchurch Hospital to collect cigarette butts became aroused at the sight of women and committed a sex attack that has led to him being jailed for three years six months.

The man, Jared Rhys Taylor, 39, exposed his penis to one woman at the hospital, and then assaulted another with intent to cause sexual violation.

The Christchurch District Court was told at his sentencing that he had earlier been in mental health care after having grandiose and religious delusions. He was diagnosed as schizophrenic, with a delusional belief system.

He was being moved from hospital care into a half-way house at the time of the attack in January.

Judge Brian Callaghan said the reports prepared for the sentencing showed that Taylor had suffered physical and emotional abuse during a deprived childhood.

Taylor knew what he was doing at the time of the attack and had been drinking, which caused disinhibition. This was not seen as an excuse. He was assessed as having a substance abuse issue, particularly involving alcohol.

Prosecutor Nicola Pointer said the Crown was seeking five to six years as a starting point for the prison sentence. She said there was nothing beyond general mental health issues to support final name suppression.

Defence counsel Grant Tyrrell said the assault on the woman – grabbing her by putting one arm around her stomach and a hand over her mouth – had not been overtly sexual, except for the intentions that Taylor explained afterwards.

He was remorseful, had pleaded guilty, and prison would be specially difficult for him because of his mental health issues.

Judge Callaghan said Taylor had become aroused after seeing women at the hospital earlier. He had gone there to pick up cigarette butts, but became intent on some form of sexual gratification.

Taylor told police he was sexually frustrated and wanted to have sex with the women by raping or sexually abusing them, but they had fought him off.

The victim impact reports stated the women were now hypervigilant on their visits to the hospital.

Judge Callaghan reduced Taylor’s sentence because of the mental health factors and the guilty pleas and remorse, and jailed him for three years six months.

“I strongly recommend to the prison authorities that Mr Taylor be considered for intensive psychological treatment for the risk of sexual offending,” said the judge. “It is clear that if left untreated the defendant will pose a risk.”

Name suppression was lifted.



Category: News

Pin It on Pinterest