Sex offender abused four girls while on ESO

April 6, 2017 | By More

File image. © Andrew Bardwell

It “defied belief” that a sex offender was able to gain access to four more young victims while living under an extended supervision order, said the Crown as it sought preventive detention for a 64-year-old.

Crown prosecutor Claire Boshier said Charlie Neho had “maxed out” his risk assessments, in reports by health assessors.

Justice Rachel Dunningham said at his sentencing in the High Court at Christchurch: “I cannot think of a clearer case where preventive detention should be imposed.”

She imposed the open-ended jail term on Neho after he had pleaded guilty to 13 charges of indecently assaulting four victims ranging in age from nine to 20 years, from 2005 to 2015.

The Avonside labourer had recently been released from a prison term for sex offending when the latest offending began. He had done the Kia Marama treatment programme for child sex offenders in prison twice, and he was subject to release conditions and then an extended supervision order when the latest offending happened.

Miss Boshier told the judge: “It defies belief that he was able to gain access to all these victims over that period of time despite the supports available under the extended supervision order. It was meant to protect the community and obviously it hasn’t.”

She said he was now aged 64 but old age was not lessening his offending. The Crown saw preventive detention as the only option for the court. He had not changed his entrenched attitudes despite significant support available to him.

Neho had required counselling because he had been abused himself, but that counselling had had no effect, she said.

Defence counsel Allister Davis urged the judge to impose a finite prison term instead of preventive detention. “He’s got to see light at the end of the tunnel, and preventive detention certainly closes that door.”

Neho had taken responsibility and pleaded guilty immediately, he said. A finite jail term would see him released at an age when he was no longer a threat to society.

Justice Dunningham said Neho’s offending involved him touching and kissing sleeping girls. He had caused serious harm and the victim impact statements made distressing reading. One girl wrote: “Just because it’s over physically does not mean it’s over mentally and emotionally.”

The girls spoke of on-going difficulties and one had self-harmed and contemplated suicide. She wrote: “I hurt myself to stop thinking about his hands all over me and his tongue in my mouth.”

Neho had been jailed in 1985 for rape, and for indecent assault in 1988 and again in 2000. He had been warned by another judge in 2000 that if he did not successfully take the available treatment he would be back in court to face possible preventive detention.

He was now assessed as a high risk of reoffending. A pre-sentence report by a health assessor commented: “He has entrenched characteristics and cognitive distortions that minimise and justify his sexual offending.”

She imposed preventive detention with a minimum non-parole term of five years before he can be considered for release. He will also be registered for 15 years as a sex offender, and he was given a first strike warning that imposes heavier penalties on repeat offenders.

Tags: , , ,

Category: News

Pin It on Pinterest