Mother admits injuring two-year-old

June 9, 2017 | By More

A mother from China has admitted a charge of injuring her two-year-old son with reckless disregard for his safety.

Hua Lin, who turned 37 today, is alone in Christchurch after her family returned to China after the incident in November 2015.

She had interim name suppression after the charge was laid last December, but the order was lifted at a court appearance in January.

She originally denied two charges and elected a jury trial, but pleaded guilty to the injuring charge at a Crown case review session in the Christchurch District Court today.

A second charge of failing to seek medical attention for the injured boy was withdrawn by the prosecutor, Shivani Dayal.

Judge Gary MacAskill deferred a media application for access to the summary of facts for the case until the sentencing which has been set for August 9.

Defence counsel James Rapley asked for the summary not to be issue, because he wished to investigate issues of culpability and mental health during the remand.

Lin remains on bail. A Chinese interpreter has been arranged for the sentencing session and for her pre-sentence interview with probation.

Miss Dayal said the Crown would try to arrange for a victim impact statement from the child’s family, in China, but she believed a restorative justice meeting would not be feasible.

The judge ruled that the restorative justice process was inappropriate in view of the family being in China.

Mr Rapley said the child was now living in China with Lin’s parents.

After the incident, which is said to have taken place in Christchurch between November 17 and 27, 2015, the family had gone home to China, he said.

Lin was asked by the police to come back to New Zealand to be interviewed. She was then arrested and charged with injuring her son, and had to remain in the country on her own.

Her bail had been varied to allow her to have contact with her son online over

Tags: ,

Category: Focus

Pin It on Pinterest