No conviction in case that started as sex attack

October 12, 2018 | By More

A 19-year-old has been discharged without conviction after a “confused and drunken” episode at a Lincoln University hall that originally led to a sex attack charge.

The teenager was granted final name suppression by Christchurch District Court Judge Raoul Neave at his sentencing on a charge that had been reduced to an assault.

There was hope that a restorative justice meeting could be arranged between the teenager and the woman involved – which may have led to a personal apology being made – but it did not go ahead.

Defence counsel Jonathan Eaton QC said the incident had been a “drunken, confused act with a sexual overtone”.

The teenager was originally charged with assault with intent to commit sexual violation after the incident on campus in September 2017.

At that time, the university said it was conducting its own investigation and was providing support to the affected students.

The man was living with his family in rural Canterbury while on bail. Mr Eaton told the court earlier that during the remand, the man had been doing alcohol rehabilitation and a Stopping Violence course.

Judge Neave noted there had been remorse, a letter of apology, alcohol treatment and counselling, and an emotional harm reparation payment of $5000.

He granted the discharge without conviction.

Tags: ,

Category: News

Pin It on Pinterest