Man ‘just snapped’ before bashing elderly mother

A man “just snapped” before he bashed his 74-year-old mother on the head four or five times with a saucepan and a frying pan.

After seeing the damage he did, 55-year-old Peter Parekh tried to stop the bleeding using a pillow and called emergency services.

He was waiting in the driveway of the Phillipstown house the two shared when police arrived. Parekh told them he had lost control and “wanted to kill her”.

Parekh was appearing for sentencing in the High Court at Christchurch after admitting a charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. The charge had been reduced from attempted murder before he pleaded guilty.

The court heard that his mother received cuts and bruises, swelling, and facial damage. She also had injuries on her shoulders. She was taken to hospital by ambulance after the assault on May 10, 2017. She had not lost consciousness and there were no broken bones.

As the sentencing began, Parekh told the court: “I am extremely sorry for my actions. I wish I could have made a better decision at the time. Unfortunately the state of mind I was in I wasn’t able to do so.”

Crown prosecutor Courtney Martyn said the assault happened in the lounge at 9.05am when Parekh went to the kitchen and came back with a saucepan. He struck his mother on head, knocking her down.

He then returned to the kitchen and came back with a frying pan which he used to hit her three or four more times while she was lying on the floor.

He called the police, telling them he had tried to kill his mum.

Miss Martyn said it was accepted that Parekh had “just snapped” and had then helped his mother and called emergency services. No victim impact statement had been obtained from his mother.

Since the attack, the mother has returned with her daughter to live in Britain.

Defence counsel Ruth Buddicom said Parekh struggled to articulate his “far reaching grief”.

She told Justice Dunningham: “He could not bear to look at the photographs of the harm he had caused. The remorse and regret and shame are very real.”

Justice Dunningham said Parekh had been born in India. He had had a dysfunctional childhood and had been in a state of constant conflict with his mother. He had been subjected to physical violence. When he lived with her as an adult, she had sought to control many aspects of his life.

Before the assault, they had argued because she had refused to tell him where the ashes of his father had been scattered.

She allowed a reduction in the sentence for Parekh’s guilty plea and his remorse, and imposed a five-year three-month jail term. She also gave him a first strike warning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *