Police decide against more serious charge in baby death case

Police have decided against laying a more serious charge after a baby died a year after an alleged bashing.

The High Court was told today by defence counsel Elizabeth Bulger that there was to be no change in the charges and the trial would proceed on the existing charges.

The 31-year-old man faces two charges of intentionally causing grievous bodily harm to the baby, who was aged four weeks at the time.

He denies the charges and the case has been listed for a trial before a judge-alone rather than a jury, beginning on November 12.

Justice David Gendall confirmed the trial date at a pre-trial call-over in the High Court today, and also set the case for another pre-trial call on October 12.

The man has interim suppression of name until trial, and that order also applies to the child, who was allegedly injured on July 25, 2017.

The court was told the child has died on July 25, 2018.

After his death, Detective Inspector Darryl Sweeney said the police were reviewing the case as a culpable homicide.

However, Justice Gendall noted in his minute at the court hearing today that it had been confirmed there would be no change to the charges.

He continued the name suppression order at the request of the defence, which was not opposed by Crown prosecutor Deirdre Elsmore.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *