Custody remand for two armed robberies

File image. © Andrew Bardwell

A 23-year-old involved in the armed robbery of two shops is in custody and facing a jail term when he is sentenced in December.

Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O’Driscoll said prison would be imposed, and no bail application was made for Aranui forklift operator Jayden Peta Brown for his remand for sentence on December 11.

The case will be referred to restorative justice for possible meetings with the armed robbery victims, where Brown would have a chance to offer apologies.

Brown admitted charges of driving while suspended and drink-driving as well as the two armed robberies.

Police prosecutor Edana Sparks said Brown approached two shop workers on Warrington Street, outside a liquor store, about 10.30pm on January 15. One of them was from a nearby dairy.

One of them went into the liquor store and Brown also went inside. When he declined to remove the scarf covering his face, he began to leave but pulled a pistol from the front of his pants and pointed it at the shop worker still outside.

He then returned to the store, presented the pistol at the other worker and demanded cash. He took an amount believed to be less than $500 and ran out.

On February 8, about 8.50pm, Brown went into the Beachcomber Dairy on New Brighton Road, with two alleged offenders, one of them armed with a pistol. They had their faces and heads covered with clothing.

The two shop workers were in a room at the back and saw the trio enter on closed-circuit television.

The robber with the pistol ran into the back room and pointed the pistol at the two victims who were running out the back.

Brown and the other person loaded cigarettes and tobacco into two backpacks and all three left the store.

The pistol was said to be an “imitation” which could shoot birds.

On July 23, Brown was caught driving on Clarendon Terrace with a level of 866mcg of alcohol to a litre of breath. His licence was immediately suspended for 28 days, but he was found driving on Hampshire Street only about a week later.