Second murder accused named

Suppression has lifted for a second man charged with the murder of 25-year-old father Shayne George Heappey who was dropped off fatally stabbed at Christchurch Hospital on a night in December.

Justice Gerald Nation announced at a callover in the High Court at Christchurch that suppressions were not being renewed for any of those accused – two facing murder, two charged with wounding or being a party to a serious assault, and one also facing an accessory-to-murder charge.

The man arrested in Dunedin about 10 days after the December 8 incident in Christchurch can now be named as Justin Richard Burke, 32, of Christchurch who is charged with the murder of Mr Heappey. He was granted interim suppression at the first appearance in the Dunedin District Court.

He and Matthew Winara Webber, 30, a Mairehau contractor, are charged with murder.

Leonie Sherie Cook, 26, is charged with being a party to wounding Mr Heappey with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, unlawful possession of a firearm, and being an accessory after the fact to murder.

Randall Clinton Waho, 45, of Christchurch, is charged with intentionally causing grievous bodily harm to Mr Heappey.

One accused appeared in court and the other three appeared by video-link from where they are being held in custody in prison. All remain in custody.

Justice Nation remanded them all without plea to appear at a case review hearing on March 22, when pleas will be entered.

Cook is also remanded for a hearing on February 15 when she will apply for release on electronically monitored bail. None of the others have made application.

A fifth person, a man aged 50, was granted interim suppression when he first appeared in the Christchurch District Court on a charge of wounding Mr Heappey with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. His case was not being called today.

Crown prosecutor Barnaby Hawes told Justice Nation today that an application was being made to transfer that charge to the High Court, where it is likely to join the others on March 22.

Mr Heappey, who had a young daughter, was dropped off at Christchurch Hospital on December with life-threatening injuries – said by a witness to be a stab wound – and died soon after.