Youth on mosque video charge back in custody

A 16-year-old who spent months in custody charged with possession of the mosque shooting video, has ended up back in the Youth Justice facility at Rolleston because of a bail breach.

The youth was repeatedly refused bail after being arrested a few days after the March 15 mosque shootings, but it was granted by a judge in the Youth Court on May 30.

Last week, police dropped their allegation that the youth had distributed the objectionable video, and he admitted a charge of possession.

He was remanded on bail for a Family Group Conference to decide how the case should be dealt with by the Youth Court on July 30.

He has now been arrested for a breach of his strict bail conditions and appeared before Judge Jane McMeeken in the Youth Court today, where youth advocate Moana Cole said no bail application would be made.

She said there were issues around a recent death in the family, and a drug screening test would be carried out because of concerns about his cannabis use. She asked that he be remanded to Thursday for a bail application to be heard.

Judge McMeeken remanded him in custody at the Te Puna Wai Youth Justice facility at Rolleston.