A judge has refused to accept any medical documents offered by a man who has twice been charged with providing false material to the courts.
The 40-year-old man had offered medical certificates to support mental health concerns when he argued for name suppression to be granted.
The Crown dropped two forgery charges dating back up to five years, against the man today, without the man or his lawyer being present.
They said they were dropping the charges because it was in the public interest and not because of any “evidential insufficiency”.
Defence counsel Andrew McKenzie had the matter called again later to make the name suppression application.
The first forgery charge related to a bail hearing in November 2014, when the man handed in a declaration of profession and consecration as a minister or pastor, which caused a judge to regard the document as if it were genuine.
When its validity was called into question, the man was charged with forgery and went on trial, but the trial was stopped because of the another judge’s concern that a further forged document had been provided to the trial in support of the first document.
The man was charged with that forgery as well.
When the man offered medical certificates in court for the suppression application, Christchurch District Court Judge Raoul Neave said today: “I am not prepared to accept any written documents from Mr -.”
Mr McKenzie then asked for the application to be adjourned for a hearing at which the doctor could be called to give evidence in person, or by video-link.
After further discussion, it was decided that if either Mr McKenzie or the Crown prosecutor Karyn South could witness the documents being signed by the doctor then they could be admitted.
The hearing was adjourned to August 16 for that to be done.
The man has name suppression in the meantime.