‘Disgusting’ mess left at school by teen burglar

A teenager who defecated inside Clinton school during a burglary has been released on intensive supervision and will have to do 200 hours of community work.

Nineteen-year-old Joshua Forrest Duxbury’s mess inside the South Otago school left office staff disgusted and feeling unsafe, the Christchurch District Court was told at his sentencing.

Duxbury had been released from an earlier prison term that day or the day before in November, when he broke into the school, stole items, and defecated on an office chair and several areas of the carpet.

Judge Raoul Neave said the teenager had been extremely drunk at the time, and could give no explanation to the police.

Defence counsel Olivia Jarvis said Duxbury was “remorseful, apologetic, disappointed, and embarrassed” about his offensive and inexcusable behaviour.

Duxbury had pleaded guilty to the burglary charge and also admitted charges of failing to attend court while on bail, and two breaches of his prison release conditions.

Judge Neave said the teenager’s life had begun to fall apart “in a major way” after the death of his father. He had earlier been sent to prison because there was no address available and the judge had no choice. “That was indicative of the level of chaos that overwhelmed his life.”

After his release, when he was drunk, he broke into the Clinton Primary School which he had attended. He went through a gate and gained entry through an unlocked sliding door.

He then roamed the school for three hours, taking a can of soft drink from the principal’s office, taking change and a money box, chocolate from the fridge, and a cellphone.

He then defecated inside the office, on a chair and several areas of the carpet.

Judge Neave noted that after breaching his release conditions with his move to Christchurch, Duxbury had been compliant and was on the waiting list for sessions with a departmental psychologist.

Important factors in his offending were substance use, and poor decision-making. Probation assessed his remorse as genuine. He was seen as a high risk of re-offending but a low risk of causing harm to others.

Judge Neave said there were unresolved grief issues that had to be addressed. “I am sure that is in no small measure connected with the drinking that occurred on that day.”

“Staff and students were extremely upset and there is always a significant amount of chaos in the wake of such offending,” said the judge.

He released Duxbury on intensive supervision for 18 months, and arranged to receive regular reports while he monitors his progress. He imposed special conditions for Duxbury to undertake counselling, inclding grief support, and general life skills. He ordered 200 hours or community work, and made an order for him to pay $540 reparations for the loss and damage