Video possession ‘disrepectful’ to massacre victims

A 16-year-old has been told it was “incredibly disrespectful” to the victims for him to have a copy of the mosque massacre video.

The teenager, who appeared for sentencing in the Youth Court, is the youngest person charged with possession of the objectionable publication, taken on a Go-Pro camera when the shooter killed 51 people and injured 40 more on March 15.

Last month, the youth admitted charges of possessing the objectionable video, and possessing 2g of cannabis, and he was sentenced by Judge Jane McMeeken today after a Family Group Conference had been held.

That conference of family, social work staff, and police and Crown, could not agree completely but came up with an “informal plan” for how to deal with the case, which was presented to Judge McMeeken.

She accepted the plan and imposed its conditions on the youth today, so that he will continue with education, attend Youth Drug Court, and have his internet access restricted to just his studies at college. The judge will get two weekly reports on his progress.

The judge was told he had been doing well at the college so far.

She suppressed all of his bail conditions, except that he must abide by a night-time curfew.

She told him possession of the massacre video was “incredibly disrespectful to the pain and sorrow” of the victims.

She said: “It was incredibly disrespectful for everyone who was harmed, to possess any of this material. I hope you realise that now. I hope you realise now that there can never be a reason for anyone to have a copy of such a recording.”

The youth will remain under the informal plan for four months. After his arrest, he was held in custody for two months.