A Christchurch woman has denied an attempted murder charge related to an incident in rural Southland in February, but has pleaded guilty to a charge of assault with a weapon.
Interim suppression of name was continued for the woman at her appearance in the High Court at Christchurch today, but Justice Cameron Mander said it would have to be fully argued at her next appearance on June 16.
Justice Mander said that although the guilty plea had been entered, it was not yet being formally recorded.
The case is heading for trial and the woman, a 47-year-old shop assistant, has been remanded for a case review hearing in the High Court. Her attendance at that hearing has been excused.
That session will take place by video-link, as today’s did. The woman and the judge appeared in court in Christchurch, while the defence counsel and Crown prosecutor appeared on video screen from Invercargill.
The woman is charged with the attempted murder of a man at Otautau on February 11, and assaulting the same man with a weapon – a knife – on the same date.