Prison gang bashing admitted

File image. © Andrew Bardwell
File image. © Andrew Bardwell

A gang prospect was bashed in Christchurch Men’s Prison because he had failed to “take out” an opposing gang member who had been disrespectful to the Mongrel Mob.

Improvised boxing gloves were used for the beating which left the victim needing medical attention for two swollen eyes and extensive bruising to his face and legs.

The case was due for a judge-alone trial in the Christchurch District Court today but talks ahead of the hearing led to a guilty plea to a reduced by Jordon Nepia McClutchie, 25, and the charge against a second prison inmate was dropped by the police.

Judge Raoul Neave sentenced McClutchie to an additional nine months jail time – on top of the four year three month term he has been serving since 2013 – on the charge of assault with intent to injure. The charge had been reduced from intentionally injuring the victim.

Judge Neave said: “I would be surprised if I have the truth behind this set of circumstances. It is clear there is a background of gang discipline being inflicted.”

He noted that McClutchie had been reclassified as a high security prisoner and transferred to Auckland, away from family and friends. “That may be a badge of honour in your world, I don’t know,” the judge told him.

In April, McClutchie and the victim were in the prison’s Matai Unit which is divided by gang affiliations. McClutchie is affiliated to the Mongrel Mob while the victim was prospecting for the same gang.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Kathy Pomfrett said the victim had been told by Mongrel Mob members to “take out” an opposing gang member who had disrespected several Mob members in the prison.

The victim failed to carry out the order and was prepared for punishment.

On April 21, the victim was in a recreation area with several patched gang members and associates.

McClutchie approached him and told him to put on homemade boxing gloves which are used for training and sparring.

McClutchie then punched and kicked the victim around the head, body and legs for about 10 minutes.

The victim reacted by throwing several punches to protect himself, but mostly shielded his body by blocking the blows with his arms.

The victim’s injuries were not noticed straight away because he wore a beanie, sunglasses, and wrapped a towel around his head. They were noticed the next day.

Defence counsel Kirsty May said the victim had been knocked unconscious and suffered another assault next day as well. Not all the injuries could be attributed to this assault.

The prison yard where the incident took place was under a watch tower and guards had been coming and going through the area. None had reported anything untowards going on, other than “sparring”, which was tolerated by the system.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *